From the old and to the new...
The original All Saints' Church was consecrated in 1861.
This Victorian-Gothic building was demolished in 1967 as it had become dangerously unstable.
The congregation then moved to the Mission House (also later demolished) then worshiped in a converted school building for 20 years, until the new church was consecrated in 1989.
Part of the original mosaic reredos (the decorated panel/screen at the back of the high altar) from the first All Saints church. It has been preserved and now adorns part of our new church's foyer.
FIRST WORLD WAR MEMORIAL (above)
REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY 2018
AT ALL SAINTS' CHURCH, EMSCOTE
All over the country communities and churches are planning ways to commemorate the signing of the Armistice on the 11th 1918. All Saints’ Church Emscote will be holding a service at which all the names on our memorial will be read out . We already in church have a folder with their details, regiment, death , sometimes parents and an address copied from the County of Warwickshire roll of honour 1914-1919 compiled by Kenneth Fowler.
We hope to
display some of these in a small exhibition in church. However the written
accounts do not give a complete picture of the person. A photograph would add
so much, also any stories that have been handed down to younger members of the
family. If anyone could lend the Emscote History Project a photograph to copy
and then return to them it would bring the piece alive. You could bring the
details into church in an envelope with your name address and relationship so
that it can be returned easily after copying.
The church is open Monday to Thursday 9a.m. – noon and of course Sunday.
( photograph of William Hartshorne ‘s grave to be inserted)
Hartshorne, William George
4715 Private 1st Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment,
10th Brigade, 4th Division.
wounds on Sunday 7 November 1915. Age 36.
The husband of Laura Hartshorne
He was born in Warwick in 1881
and enlisted there in
Before the war he was employed as a polisher.
He arrived in
France on Tuesday 4 May1915.
Buried in Sucererie military Cemetery
Commemorated on Warwick War Memorial.
1914-15 Star and Clasp, British War Medal, Victory Medal.
service the Bell from H.M.S. Renown will be dedicated for use in the
church. SEE RIGHT.
The new All Saints Church with the Victorian almshouse 'St Edith's' next to it.
Founded by the main benefactor of All Saints, Miss Marianne Philips of Beauville, Leamington Priors, St Edith's is still very much in use today.
A statue of St Edith (or St. Editha) surveys the scene from an outside wall of the almshouse. She was a 'local' saint, a Saxon princess who became founder and abbess of a community of women religious. Their abbey was situated by the side of the River Anker at Polesworth in North Warwickshire.
A few Norman remains of the abbey remain, along with the abbey church, which underwent a major renovation in later Victorian times. Archaeological digs have been undertaken in recent years uncovering more of the abbey's pre-Dissolution and post-Dissolution story.
The Abbey Church of St Editha, Polesworth, its Abbey grounds and its 13th century gate-house are open to visitors.
The two war memorials shown here (below left and above) were originally on the wall of the old church. Thankfully they were kept and are now on a wall in the Lady Chapel of the new church. On Remembrance Day 2018 we shall be reading aloud the names on the memorials and hearing rung for the first time in many years the ship's bell from HMS RENOWN. Renown was a battleship commissioned in 1915 and decommissioned in 1946, thus serving in both world wars.
A BELL AND THE BELLS
The first All Saints Church had a peal of 8 bells. When the church was demolished in 1967 they were taken to John Taylors of Loughborough - the world famous bellfoundry - for storage. We now know that reluctantly All Saints Church finally gave permission for the bells to be melted down. However, it is some compensation to know that Taylors can trace for which church's new bells the metal from our old bells was used. We hope to find out the details soon.
This Summer (2018) Taylors have also given us documents stored in their archive about the bells. We are delighted to have access to more pieces of the jigsaw from the first All Saints Church in Emscote.
Before the new church was built worship continued first of all in the Old Mission House and then in the old school building (now called the Contact Centre). A bell from HMS Renown (a battleship serving in the first and second world wars and decommissioned in 1946) was obtained. In recent years the bell has been redundant. However, this year we hope to have it ringing again as a sanctuary bell. We have raised £1000 for Taylors to refurbish the bell and to make a frame for it. It will be ringing for the first time in many years on Remembrance Sunday.
More news to follow on this in the next few months.
July 2018 The County Records Office here in Warwick has been granted permission by Taylors to make digital copies of the documents, so here is more good news for anyone wanting to access the story of the bells in the future.
We await the return of the 'Renown' bell from Taylors, complete with new clapper and in its new frame, ready for use in the sanctuary of All Saints.
We hope to arrange a coach trip to Taylors of Loughborough to witness a bell in the making - and more!
Watch out for more information on A BELL AND THE BELLS in the Autumn version of All Saints Parish magazine 'GRAPEVINE.'
No. 1 All Saints' Road (once the Headteacher's House) was finally renovated. It is quite a feature of this Victorian House. Photos taken from the chimney's vantage point are shown below.
Photos by roofing specialists 'Adam Askew'